Wednesday 6 May 2015

5 ways to revise more efficiently

Fellow students, I feel your pain. The time of non-stop revision and living on coffee has come. However I know how difficult it can be to really concentrate on learning whatever it is you need to know. This is coming from the queen of distraction.... I'd literally do anything rather than revision. But it has to be done, so here are my top 5 tips to step up your revision game.



1) Turn your mobile off
Seems obvious? My phone is probably the biggest distraction ever, I could spend hours watching Youtube, chatting to people on Twitter or stalking Instagram. So if I really want to revise without being disturbed, I have to turn off my phone. I really recommend it to anyone who has the same problem. And if you keep turning it on again, put it somewhere out of reach or even 'hide' it from yourself! Seems a bit over the top but I know enough people who need that.

2) Set yourself a goal
Plan your day and set yourself a goal, e.g. I am going to complete 2 past papers in Maths today and revise the key terms for Chemistry. If you plan out what you want to get finished, you are more likely to actually do it as otherwise you will feel disappointed in yourself.

3) Get used to a certain revision routine
This is extremely important if you have study leave! Get used to revising at certain times as it stops you from watching just 'one more' episode on Netflix. Also it really helps getting up early, as it sets you off for a productive start rather than sleeping in till 12 (which is sometimes necessary, I get it). Try sticking to your normal college/school time table as you are accustomed to learning at these times.

4) Take a break
Give yourself a break every now and then. After an hour of hardcore revision (personally) my brain needs a break. Go for a walk, open the windows or have a chat with someone nearby. It helps you relax a bit, so when you go back to revision, you will be able to concentrate better.

5) Drink plenty of water
Last but not least - water. Yes, I know you've heard it all before and all you want to drink is coffee. I am guilty of doing exactly that. However too much coffee can be unhealthy and will not have the desired effect. Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water and you will be able to remember a lot more. There is even a study that says drinking plenty of water helps alleviate exam anxiety. What are you waiting for?


Finally I can only stress that everyone revises differently and I am not saying that you have to do any of these things. They have helped me revise more successful, but maybe they just aren't for you (although the water one should apply to everyone). I wish you the best of luck with your exams, keep your eyes on the price ;) Love ya.



Social media links:

No comments:

Post a Comment