Sunday 30 November 2014

Self-worth

Definition: Respect for or a favourable opinion of oneself.

Would you say you have self worth? 

I wanted to talk about this for a while as I believe it is one of the most important topics to discuss with people of all ages. There are many people in the world who do not have a good opinion of themselves, who think they are not worth it. Too many! Here and now I just want to tell you that you are worth it and that there are people out there who love you and who care about you!
Low self-esteem can be caused by a variety of things, bullying being one of them. If you are a victim of bullying, please speak up!! It is important you tell someone and search for help. It is also important that you know it is not your fault, but the bullies one! 

I know a lot of teenagers who hate their body, who feel like they don't fit in. Thoughts like 'I am not pretty enough' or 'I am fat' destroy their self esteem. I myself know how hard it can be to accept yourself, and I am still struggling at times. Because there will always be someone prettier or skinnier than you. However that does not mean they are worth more than you. Or maybe you are not one of the 'popular kids', who go to all the parties and get drunk. At the time you're in school this might be the most important thing, you'd feel like you are not worth it. I know exactly how you feel. You might think you're missing out on life. But just take a look at the people who are seen as cool. They all have their own stories. In the end, are they happier than you? Does it really make them content being invited to all those parties and getting incredibly drunk? Think about it. 

One of the most important things we have to learn in life is to stop comparing ourselves to other people. We have to stop wanting to fit in and start being our unique selves! Every single person out there is good at something, has a talent or a passion which they can follow. If you're sitting there saying 'I can't think of anything', then start experimenting. Try out new stuff. Go to that dance class on a Wednesday afternoon, start campaigning for animal rights or try and bake a masterpiece. It takes a while to find something which you truly love, but it will be worth it! Because the key to self-esteem is being proud of oneself. Achieving something that you are passionate about can be the best feeling in the world. So don't fear trying out new things and connecting with people you have never met before. Other people can be so inspiring and uplifting, and through the internet you have a thousand possibilities to connect with people. The next time you see yourself in a mirror, think about one tiny little thing you like about yourself! I promise, it will make you feel better. Also try and write down one thing you are thankful for every single day. You can even use an app, e.g. Gratitude, for that. I have started using this app a while ago and even after a really shit day, where I came home and just wanted to bury myself in bed, I'd find one thing I was happy about. Even if it is just that lovely cup of tea you're mum made you. This will make you see the positives in things more and it will lead you to seeing the positive things in yourself. I truly believe that every single person on this earth is here for a reason.
Make it count!

Websites that might help you:
Low self esteem:  http://www.get.gg/esteem.htm
Being bullied:  http://www.bullying.co.uk/
Suicide help:  http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/
=>  http://www.samaritans.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment