Thursday 20 August 2015

My hair transformation


I'm a tiny bit more tanned on the right cuz I just came back from interrrailing in Europe.
I've had long hair basically my whole life. When I was growing up, my mom would cut my sister's hair into a bob, but mine was growing so fast that she didn't want to cut it. So I was always the one in the family with the longest hair. Fact is, I loved my long hair and couldn't imagine any other haircut. However when I was about 12 and got into makeup and stars and stuff, that changed. It started when Emma Watson cut off all her hair. Might sound weird but I swear that that was what set off my wish to get a really short haircut. I went to a hairdresser and told them, but both my mom and the hairdresser suggested to cut it into a bob first. I hated the bob. I was too young to really know how to style it so it just hung around my face looking incredibly boring. Therefore I never brought up my wish to have short hair again, although it was always there in the back of my mind.

At around 14 I started dying my blond hair all kinds of colours (from red to blue to brown), which I loved but by 2015 it was completely ruined. Dry, thin and dull. This year, it started bothering me more and more, it was just so heavy and took ages to style and it also kept falling out due to being so damaged. My sister and I had planned to go interrailing this year, which was the final straw. I knew I DID NOT want to travel around Europe with that long hair which, when it is warm, is just inconvenient and hot.
So about 3 weeks ago, before we set off on the trip, I went to the hairdresser (with my sister as emotional support). I had my favourite pictures of pixie hair cuts with me, which I highly recommend as it gave the hairdresser an exact idea of what I imagined (mine was Kristen Stewart's pixie cut). After that it went so quickly I couldn't have stopped it if I'd wanted to - which I didn't. She tied my hair at the back and just cut it off so it was a bit shorter than shoulder length. The cut off part was given to me to keep, which was kinda weird and surreal.

Anyways she continued cutting off a lot more which left me wondering if I'd even have any hair in the end. However she did an amazing job, I am literally so happy with my new haircut. It took me a while to get used to it, but it was a lifesaver in the heatwave that went through Europe. No hair stuck to my neck, no extra weight. People have asked me if I miss my long hair and I honestly don't. One day I probably will have long hair again, but healthy and strong. I can already feel the difference in the thickness of my hair. So yeah, that's literally why I cut off all my hair, starting with Emma Watson over damaging it and then to travelling. I'm so excited for it to grow and being able to explore all kinds of different lengths and styles.

I hope you enjoyed this personal insight into my life and maybe it has inspired some of you to think about a shorter hair-do ;) I do highly recommend it...



Follow me here:

1 comment: